History of Emmet, Nebraska

History of Emmet, Nebraska

Long before Emmet had a Main Street, it had a timber claim on a bend of the Elkhorn River. William Malloy, who had come from Sheboygan, Wisconsin, homesteaded the southeast quarter of Section 22 in 1876, the ground that today lies southwest of town. His son Tom took the homestead just east of his father's, and for a timber claim staked the quarter north of that — the low ground where the town of Emmet would first rise, a handful of sod buildings on a spot now remembered only as a "washout" grown over with trees near the southwest corner of the townsite. In the summer of 1882 William Malloy — known countywide as "Judge," since he had been elected Holt County's first judge — and his son Tom had one of the Nightengale boys help them survey and plat the new town on Tom's timber claim. They finished the plat on the birthday of the Irish patriot Robert Emmet, and so they named their town for him.

Judge Malloy built a log cabin on his homestead and ran Emmet's first post office out of it — a post office that, records suggest, had actually been serving the neighborhood since 1880, even before the townsite itself was platted. The same little log building doubled as the community's first schoolhouse, and the Judge's daughter Maggie was its first teacher. The Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad had pushed its tracks past the Malloy place in 1881, with Tom Murray serving as the first section foreman out of Emmet, and Mike Lyons, a real-estate broker up from O'Neill who owned land to the north and east, helped the Judge lay out the town's plan around the new line.

The business district filled in quickly by the standards of the day. In 1883 August Meilenz bought a lot from Tom Malloy and built a store south of the tracks, with a barn and a house-turned-hotel behind it; J. John Nelson opened a blacksmith shop nearby, and John Calnan opened a second one on the east side of town. Meilenz's building, oversized for so small a village, hosted Emmet's first Fourth of July celebration in 1885 and, the following year, became home to the Emmet Echo, a branch paper of the O'Neill Frontier. The Echo existed to catch the $5 "proof of claim" notices that homesteaders were required to publish as they proved up their land, and Homer O. Campbell, sent out from O'Neill with cases of type and an old army press, found that his hardest job was simply finding news — Emmet in those days was little more than a store, the depot, and a water tank. He could ride the train up, set the paper in two days, and be back in O'Neill until the next week; before long, as Campbell himself put it, "the Echo passed to its reward." A proper depot and the first schoolhouse building both went up in 1884, and 1885 brought a small boom of new establishments — a lumberyard, a saloon, a drugstore, a hardware store, and a scattering of houses north of the business section.

That first Fourth of July was long remembered for a tub race down the Elkhorn, most of the racers dunked before they reached the finish. William Stuart built the town's first bridge across the river along the old pioneer trail that passed Tom Malloy's log house, and a suspension footbridge gave a shortcut south. Local memory also held stories of Plains Indians who still passed through the area in the town's earliest years — one band reportedly stopping to sharpen knives and tomahawks on Tom Malloy's grindstone before riding east, and returning, by Malloy's account, with their dead lashed across their ponies after a fight with another band. Mrs. Malloy was said to be friendly with the visitors, feeding them on their spring and fall passes through, and family tradition credited a Native woman with treating a sick Malloy child with a folk remedy of charred horse chestnut, and later with dramatically restoring sight to a nephew's eye that had been burned shut in a childhood accident.

Not far northwest of town, a small burial ground called Prairie Home held many of the earliest settlers; today only two stones survive there, marking the graves of A. E. Storer, who died in January 1888, and his daughter Emma, Mrs. C. S. Ingles, who died that same year. By the late 1880s the sod and log buildings had mostly given way to frame construction, and homesteads had become working farms — but after 1890 Emmet fell into a slump. The depot was closed and moved to Ewing, the last Fourth of July celebration was held in 1892, and August Meilenz, first to open a store and last to close one, finally shut his doors in 1890. For some years the town amounted to little more than three houses — Tom Malloy's, the section house, and Mike Lyons's place, which doubled as post office and store.

Emmet's fortunes turned again after the turn of the century. Mike Lyons donated ground on the hill north of town to both the Lutheran and Catholic congregations. The German Lutheran church, built in the early 1900s, met a grim end during the First World War, when anti-German sentiment ran high in the county and the building was burned one night. The Catholic church, built in 1910, fared better. By then the town had grown to include two hardware stores, a livery barn, a cream station, three grocery stores, a general store, a lumberyard, a pool hall, a blacksmith shop, a bank, a grain elevator, a drugstore, and McCaffery's combined hotel, restaurant, and store. Much of the revival rode on the region's wild-hay economy: Tom and Billie Malloy, along with Guy and Dean Cole, went into the hay business, and in 1908 J. B. Ryan and William Froelich, Sr. established the Emmet Hay Company, buying a barn and building an office; Les Puckett added another hay barn in 1912. Rail shipping grew busy enough that a boxcar depot, long the makeshift standard, was finally replaced by a proper depot building in 1907. The second boom, though, proved shorter-lived than the first: by 1920 the town was fading again, and that year Georgia and Pat McGinnis bought the last load of lumber from the Nye, Snyder and Fowler yard, which then closed for good.

The Malloys themselves were emblematic of the settlers who built the town. Tom Malloy and his wife had run O'Neill's first hotel before the railroad reached the county, freighting goods from Wisner and Long Pine while Mrs. Malloy managed a houseful of freighters bedding down for the night. They moved onto their claim in 1881, a wet spring that flooded the Elkhorn and sent both Malloy households, along with neighbor Tom Graham's family, to spend an anxious night praying their homes would survive — a flood that scoured out a lake still visible in front of Tom's house decades later. Tom eventually built an eight-room house to hold his growing family; his daughter Rose later married Clarence Tenborg there, and the couple bought and lived in the house for years afterward. Judge Malloy died in 1884, remembered as a keen-minded, self-taught jurist whose rulings and sayings were still quoted in Nebraska courtrooms long after. His daughters Maggie and Katie were, by local account, the belles of early Emmet, and both married and moved away — Maggie to Omaha as Mrs. Robert O'Donnell, Katie to Chicago as Mrs. Thomas O'Connell — while Tom's brother William Malloy married Margaret Gaffney in 1887 and raised ten children on the Judge's old claim.

The Tenborg family carried one of the more remarkable stories to Emmet. Frank Tenborg, a Norwegian who had gone to sea at seven to escape a cruel stepfather, spent thirty-five years sailing before serving as second mate on the ship that carried his future wife Sophia's family from Germany to America; the two married in New York and eventually made their way, by way of Pennsylvania, Union Pacific railroad work, and a farm near Ithaca, Nebraska, to Holt County. The Blizzard of 1888 wiped out the cattle herd Frank had built up, and his sons Fred, Bill, and Clarence supported the family for a time by hunting game for shipment to Chicago hotels. Clarence later married Rose Malloy, and their daughter Eileen Tenborg Hyland left behind vivid recollections of Emmet's dance halls, a Methodist parsonage and hay barn that burned together one night in a fire she watched from her upstairs window, and her grandfather Frank, who lived alone in his little pink house north of Emmet until his death in 1925 at eighty-nine.

Other families rounded out the community's early decades. Charles O'Connor, born in County Mayo in 1826, arrived with General O'Neill's third colony in 1877 and settled east of the future townsite; two of his sons, James and Hugh, ran Emmet's barbershop and pool hall for decades, James finally selling out and retiring in 1955 at eighty-one. The Winklers, Ernsts, Harrises, Yantzis, and other German, Bohemian, and Swiss families farmed the country north and east of town, some worshipping at the small Amish Mennonite church built on land donated by C. B. Yantzi. The Puckett family, of old Quaker stock out of Iowa, lost everything in the prairie fire of 1899 before rebuilding seven miles south of Emmet; their children later rode horseback for miles to catch both the afternoon and evening shows when Chautauqua came to town around 1919. Vida Chase Mullins, who moved to a farm south of Emmet as a girl in 1917, remembered it fondly decades later as "a busy little hay town," recalling bond drives and patriotic songs during the First World War, hay wagons rumbling toward the big barn in town, and a cowboy calling out for her to "roll under the fence, little girl" as a herd of cattle came down the road.

By the middle of the twentieth century Emmet had settled into the quieter rhythm of a small Nebraska hay town, its population never again approaching the roughly 150 residents counted at its 1910 peak. The village remains unincorporated today, home to a few dozen residents, and still leans into the industry that sustained it through its lean years — locals now call it "the Biggest Little Haytown in the World." The rich native meadows along the Elkhorn that first drew the Malloys, the Coles, and the Pucketts into the hay business more than a century ago still ring the town, a reminder that Emmet's history was written less in ambitious plats and boomtown storefronts than in the quiet, stubborn work of families cutting, stacking, and hauling hay off the same bottomland, year after year, since the summer a father and son named their new town for an Irish patriot and got on with building it.

← Back to Emmet, Nebraska